CellarDoor

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img196/9051/banneraqp.png

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

CellarDoor

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img196/9051/banneraqp.png

CellarDoor

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CellarDoor

... Sounds a lot like ShowerDoor.

My attempt at 912chan seems to be getting no where, would appreciate posts and more visits from you guys. Visit www.912-chan.co.cc or click on the banner below.
STOP POSTING ABOUT OTHERS' GRAMMAR AND/OR SPELLING. Instead, inform them of it personally via a private message, and there's no need to be too bloody cheeky about it. It's the major reason threads are derailed, and we need to stop it.

+2
Johnny McL
Forrow
6 posters

Violent Video Games Essay.

Forrow
    Forrow
    Admin

Violent Video Games Essay. Empty Violent Video Games Essay.

Post by Forrow Sat May 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Violent Video Games.

I myself own quite a few violent video games and I see no problem in them. To me, games with guns and killing are quite run of the mill now. As I grew up my first video games consisted of 'Super Mario' and 'Sonic The Hedgehog' and these, for most part of my generation were the first games that you played. As simple as they both were there was killing from the start all the way to the end of the game, both consisted on jumping on your enemies head for them to hop and fall through the bottom of the screen to pixelated hell, they same would happen to you if they so much as touched you side on, you too would fall to the dreaded depths, but only once you had run out of lives of course.

This was the killing that I and most other children in their early game playing years witnessed in my generation. Nobody saw it as offensive or distinguish, they only saw it as part of the game and that was it. Like the violence in the favourite kids cartoon Tom & Jerry, I don't hear of kids whacking their cats in the face with frying pans or ironing them to the ground, nobody gets offended by this violence, I don't even think the RSPCA gives a damn. As games progressed with the available technology they became more violent and gorey, my first blood shedding game was for the good old Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) in which once you shot your enemy they fell to the ground, flashed a couple of times, disappeared and were replaced with a small pool of blood. I took this as just a part of the game, if anything I thought it was quite cool and to my own knowledge it hasn't affected me in any sort of way. A few years have passed now and games have become even more realistic, more blood and gore have been introduced and even the ability to blow off an enemy's limb or limbs if your lucky.

Violence in a video game is almost a dead certainty now, and the whole thing about these games influencing teenagers to act out more violently is in my opinion just a load of rubbish. I can see why older generations of people may see this as the cause of violence, but I can almost guarantee that they have not asked the opinion of the gamers themselves, and what they think on the matter. Being a fanatic gamer myself I say that this is not the case and I refuse to accept it as being the case. Yes games are becoming more violent and yes everyone likes to play them, especially my generation but the older generations play these games too, is violent video games influence people to act violently then how have I yet to hear of a 34 year old man going on a killing spree and blaming it on his favouritism game?

After a quick Google search on this topic, I found an article in which a researcher from the University Of Essex has looked at the facts and figures and apparently it turns out that since the 1990's, in which violent video games were most certainly on the rise, violent crimes commited by youths has declined, and surely these violent video games have something to do with that? The way things are really being put across by all those who believe in violent video games are the influence towards these actions there should be kids as young as 11 years old running amok in the streets high-jacking cars, gunning down innocents and doing dirty work for the most notorious big time crime lords of the city. The researcher does go on to say that more research has to be done but the information put in front of me now is enough to tell me that that violent video games don't influence the actions of the young. Thinking about it now, is there not books that are far worse than these violent video games? Books which describe how the killer goes about killing his victims in brutal detail.

Ok, maybe kids can be influenced by these games, but if they are completely influenced then don't you think maybe the child should not have the game? I do realise I'm speaking against myself here by owning games which I'm not yet allowed, being 16 and owning 18 rated games. How I got my hands on the 18 rated games is what should be questioned, as a gift for my birthday or Christmas or bought for me by my parents after I give them the money for it. So the parents of the children should really be asked if they are watching what their children are playing on their consoles and if they think the child is mature enough and mentally stable enough to play the game and not be influenced to go out and kill. The influence of the games cannot surely be of every player of them? If they are I'm curious as to when I will be affected by their overwhelming influence, and if they are going to take the millions of other players under their control. Factions made by crazed gamers and wars between the factions over which game is best and their tactics are all used from their own game. Sounds a bit like a game I'd like to see released actually, could be fun.

On the web page which gave me the idea to write on this topic shows the pros and cons of banning violent video games and one of the comments on the page in particular caught me attention and quite honestly made me laugh.
    'We should not have games which teach youngsters to kill, main and rape. These are not values which we tolerate in our society so why should we tolerate games which are a lesson in killing?'
    Perhaps we tolerate them because, to my knowledge, they don't exist? Really, what strange game is this person playing? I know of no game in which you are taught how to main and/or rape, or one that does either. Surely they have taken it to an extreme with that comment? Another great comment which is by far my favourite because of the blunt impact of the entire thing is 'Violent Video games cause people to go out and kill.'
    Damn... Really? I think we better stop making violent video games guys, this person has a great point and presents lots of evidence to back themselves up.
    Come on, back yourself up maybe? Or even try and prove your point or something. This is about as convincing as that TV loud mouth Barry Scott commending me to fight grime and lime scale with CILLIT F****NG BANG!

I really have tried to bring both sides of the argument into this but honestly I cannot see a valid reason to ban the games. This may be because I'm of the more clear minded youth and do not fall under the games influence, that or I'm already under the influence and do not want to see my leaders condemned. Who knows? Whatever the case I see no reason these games should be taken off the shelves. Before I go I want to mention something. The wonder method of obtaining the games will still be used. Kids will always get what they want through the adults, those who are old enough to buy the games are used as a bridge between the shops and the kids' console. In the end games are surely not the cause of the violence, at least this is what I think. You can make your own opinion on the matter, if you even care that is. I mean, do you really think someone controlling an on screen character, commanding him or her to kill people and commit crime really going to convince the person playing to do it in real life? Really, think about it.
    Johnny McL
    Johnny McL
    Admin

Violent Video Games Essay. Empty Re: Violent Video Games Essay.

Post by Johnny McL Sun May 17, 2009 5:08 pm

tl;dr
    Forrow
    Forrow
    Admin

Post by Forrow Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 am

Fuck you Nig, Read it and tell me what you think. Shocked
    Andouis
    Andouis

Post by Andouis Thu May 21, 2009 12:58 am

TRUE DAT NIGGER afro
    Gast0r
    Gast0r
    Admin

Post by Gast0r Sat May 23, 2009 3:44 am

I didn't read the entire thing but it seemed pretty well done.

now check out Gemma's stories nig.
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

Post by Godzilla Sat May 23, 2009 4:44 am

tl;dr

Aye, check out mahhh stuff.

There's no danger of falling asleep while attempting to read. Sleep

Yass.
    Feldrid[Joeyy]
    Feldrid[Joeyy]
    Admin

Location : Behind my computer, probably playing Portal or WoW.

Post by Feldrid[Joeyy] Sat May 30, 2009 3:03 pm

WOAH, this is long. I'm gonna go get myself a drink and read it all (y)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 pm